November 27, 2017

Work is Love Made Visible

This was a productive week. I thought about the Kahlil Gilbran quote, "Work is love made visible." This is so true for me when I work with my clients - I am aware of the love, the care, the tending to another person's needs. I wanted to extend this to other areas of my life, so my housework became my house love, and my homework became my home love; working in the garden became loving in the garden, working on my website became loving my website; even sending out emails became sending out love letters. 

Midweek I thought, "I should mow the lawn" then laughed because I knew it was the last thing I was going to do. The question became, "What would I love to do right now?" To my surprise it was getting out the chainsaw and chopping up the firewood, a task that has been on my list for over a year. What a delight cross that one off, sore arms and all. Interestingly, the next day I found myself in the right mood to mow. I notice the things that I have to do can still be done with love, which I guess is the essence of mindfulness.