February 29, 2012

What have I learned to be thankful for that I used to take for granted


I have learned to be thankful for my health. Turning 45 last year I am so much more aware of my body's shifts and changes, from creaky joints to night sweats, the sudden appearance of a pudgy belly. I used to take for granted that I would always be small, petite and slender, and it has been a shock to gain 20 pounds over the last year, to feel my feet aching every day, to feel a struggle in my habits.

I am thankful that I am on no medications besides for my inhaler, even my asthma having been vastly improved since putting in the hard wood floors and addressing my gerd, changing my diet so as not to experience acid reflux. Having the new cat has definitely exacerbated my allergies, and I am grateful to acupuncture and homeopathic remedies for giving me relief while my immune system changes.

I appreciate walking more, especially after I quit Zumba, which just started feeling too hard on my body, although I do miss the endorphin rush after each class. I used to take my digestion for granted, and now need to be so much more conscious of consuming fried foods versus salads, of eating breakfast and more protein instead of carbs.

I used to think that I could do anything, climbing up and down ladders, cleaning the windows of the house, having tons of energy. I notice where I am slowing down, being more conscious, more aware that a fall could mean a broken bone, a broken neck. I am grateful to have the income to start outsourcing these needs, paying the roofer and hiring a window cleaner, thinking about a gardener to help with the maintenance, leaving me free for more creativity.

Blessed be.