December 28, 2011

In the moment

Actually, it is 7:30 am at the St. Columba retreat house, I am sitting feeling grateful for hot coffee, my shoulders cramped and sore after a poor night's sleep in the freezing cold dorm room, where only after piling on even more blankets into the bunk bed did I find myself in grateful slumber.

I dreamt that I was an antiques fair, and people were taking off in these para-sail like buses. One guy was bummed because his bus had gotten graffittied on overnight. I showed him that the graffiti was just stickers and could peel right off. Then something about going swimming with Lisa and Henry, but that seems vague now.

Chip forgot his shaver and forgot both my jacket and to bring a bra. I guess I'm really on vacation now. There are good smells of breakfast in the room, quiet, hushed whispers of " good morning", our need for politeness and connection overcoming the request for silence. I remember this from before, the quiet thank you's, and how I loved these human lapses.

I am looking forward to going on a walk, working the chinks out of my bones, and already feel the time slipping away, as my monkey mind clamors to read my book, make some drawings, write a hundred love letters today. After looking at the quotes from last night's workshop, I remember to take it slow, to enjoy each micro moment for exactly what it is. I also realize how much I look forward to going to Hawaii for two weeks, the time period seems extremely luxurious, to indulge in nothingness and be a part of the flow. I will remember to take less things to do with me to the islands, but maybe I will remember to take a bra or two...

Are the stars too distant, pick up the pebble that lies at thy feet, and from it learn the all
. -Margaret Fuller

Blessed be,