March 12, 2016

Re-Creating MySelf

I have just begun a 4 month course, "The Creatress Project", hosted by Narayani Gaia and Marya Stark. My main intention is to be in an accountability group, and to both give and receive constructive criticism, general encouragement/support, and possible long termnetworking/collaborations. My focus will be on writing and creating art, specifically to publishing my own tarot deck and book, although I also have a host of other projects I would like to see published. My goals for these 12 weeks are:
  • Cultivate/return to a daily creative practice: writing or making art
  • Connect with women on weekly basis as part of my spiritual practice
  • Birth a long term project that has been gestating for years
The first step was to find time, of course. I realize I spend at least an hour a day playing games on the computer, particularly in the mornings, which is my personal prime time. I like to do a crossword puzzle and a jigsaw puzzle, which feels like a nice brain warm up, and balanced between left and right brain activities. Simply deciding to do these games in the evening as part of my relaxation meant I freed up my morning hour without feeling like I was denying myself something that I enjoy.

Especially since I do enjoy both writing and making art. The resistance comes from that little perfectionist voice that says "it's not good enough". Well, the only way to get good is to develop that daily practice, but starting from that place of joy and wonder, of beginner's mind, the delight of the child playing with colors.