October 23, 2009

Hummingbird Magic

Hummingbird teaches us to laugh, to appreciate the magic of being alive, & the truth of beauty. There is something in our souls that wants to hover at beautiful moments in our lives, making them freeze in time. There is something in us that wants to fly backwards and savor once more the beautiful past. Some of us are just hummingbird people. -Larry Gates


This morning Poppy brought in a hummingbird. I managed to get it from the cat, and sat on the deck in the sun, holding it between my hands, sending it reiki, wondering what to do next. Deciding to ask an expert, I woke up my daughter, who said "Put it in a shoebox and call Grandma." 

We rustled up a pencil box, and lined it with a soft cloth. I found a small bottlecap, added some sugar water, and left it to rest. After 20 minutes, Amber checked on it, and of course,  the hummer escaped into the kitchen. I caught it again, and it just sat on my finger as I took it out into the garden. Amber came to take a picture, and at the flash of the camera, the hummingbird buzzed away... So magical. What a blessing.

I have been thinking about this all day. The iridescent green feathers, the practically fuscia pink throat, the feeling of that tiny heartbeat just thrumming against my palm... The long black beak, those deep brown eyes, blinking at me, as I whispered over and over "May you be released from suffering, may you be released from fear, may you be released from pain." 

Today I got to hold joy in my hands, and I released joy to the sky...