February 5, 2009

Thoughts on Moomin Trolls



My mother is Swedish & I grew up reading all of Tove Jansson's Moomin troll books. According to the Wikipedia: "They are a family of trolls who are white, round and furry in appearance, with large snouts... The carefree and adventurous family live in their house in Moominvalley, in the forests of Finland... They have many adventures along with their various friends, who are each of various fictional species." This included the Mymbles, the Hattifatteners, and my personal favorite, The Snork Maiden.


Now that it is February, I face my longest month of the year due to SAD. Hey, I'd rather be depressed for 28 days of the year than 365, and it usually doesn't hit hard until mid-month, so I'm setting up my ducks now.

I think about the Moomins who would fill their bellies with pine needles and hibernate through the long Nordic winter. I fill mine with St. John's Wort and organic poptarts, steamed spinach and smoked salmon. I hunker down by the woodstove, feeling extremely grateful for the companionship of my housemate and all four cats, each of us curled into our personal ball of introspection. I notice that my current clients all reflect the need for withdrawal (8 of Cups), the need to retreat, renew & rejuvenate after drinking from the cup of disappointment.

I know California needs rain, but each sunny day feels like a reprieve, and I sit in the pale winter light trying to recharge my photoelectric batteries stored behind my third eye, the oh so important pineal gland. I notice I am sleeping a lot (10-12 hours a night) and have just given up completely trying to go out in the evenings. I count the days and mark off the calendar like a prisoner trying to reach parole.

5 down, 23 to go...