September 11, 2024

Float

A client gifted me two 60-minute floats at a local spa that offers sensory deprivation tanks while being buoyant on Epsom salts in skin-temperature water in pods.

It was an interesting experience. I wish the staff had spent a little more time with us. Luckily I had read everything on the website. At first, it was cold getting into the Clamshell down after about 5 minutes. I was overheated and slightly panicked so I reopened the pod and used the supplied washcloth and spray bottle full of tap water to wash off my face. I had started out with a neck flotation device but I found it feeling restricted on my cartrid artery and I could feel my pulse pounding in my temples and my throat again. Again I had to sit up and wave to put on the lights. Cool my face off with the washcloth.

Next, I just floated. I wish I had put in the earplugs because now, eight days later I still have a crackling in my ear from water coming in. After about ten minutes, again I just felt complete discomfort, had to sit up and cleanse the salts from my face. I discovered the neck Halo which proved to be more comfortable for the rest of the session

I did various meditation techniques noticing that it was much more comfortable for me with my eyes shut. I only experience claustrophobia with my eyes open. I was aware of my partner's body floating next to mine. We held hands and our feet would occasionally touch toes. The music was a little bit too loud, but I didn't really want to mess with it and actually was soothed because one of the repeated loops was a piece of music that I happened to play in my own client sessions and it was an easy way to get into my particular hypnotic trance. When in that space I found myself more relaxed. Easier to let go. Feel that sense of timelessness rather than just thinking about what were we going to have for lunch next.

Suddenly there was a cold burst of water and I realized that the engines were on the signal for us to get out of the pod. I really wish they had more of a system like Well Within, where you just hear a gong going off. It felt disruptive. We each crammed into the tiny shower, but yum! Oh yum, the lovely products. Mostly I remember the cucumber-scented shampoo. Then we got dressed after putting our laundry in the bins and I was a little disappointed that we did not get any more love or special attention as we took our shoes off of the little rack where we had parked them earlier. 

I do not fault the staff. They were definitely working hard to accommodate people who were arriving but it it felt a little impersonal. I'm not sure if I will go back. I'd rather float around and my own bathtub or float around in the pool to get that sense of release. Blessed be.